Lesson 4; Russia & US

I chose to look at Russia and the US, as the two countries are very prominent voices in politics- especially in the past year. Though there was an increase in Russian military presence prior to the invasion of Ukraine that was concerning to the other A7 members, it seemed likely and plausible that cooperation could be successful with Russia. The joint 2018 IMO shipping lane rules for the Bering Strait is a good example of cooperation between Russia and the US, as well as in 2021 updating the cooperation between the US Coast Guard and Russia’s Marine Rescue Service contingency plan for pollution incidents. Obviously, the war on Ukraine has drastically lessened the option to work with Russia, but I find it heartening that the US-Russian marine safety-related cooperation has continued. I can’t imagine the US taking on any new joint agreements with Russia while there is an ongoing war. 

I also thought it interesting to read that the other A7 states started to take steps to increase their military capabilities after Russias military started showing an increased presence in the Arctic. In the 2022 document released by the Biden administration, it is stated that the US looks to ‘deepen relationships with Allies and partners.’ The document proceeds to list the 6 Arctic states- not mentioning Russia. There is a strong difference between the US and Russias statements towards the Arctic- with Russia being openly much more on the militarized and resource exploitation side of the line.

The 2022 National Security Strategy Document released by the Biden administration stated ‘pillars’ for the U.S in the Arctic within the next 10 years. These pillars specified Security, Climate Change and Environmental Protection, Economic Development, and International Cooperation and Governance as priorities.

Russia is geographically the most prominent Arctic state, and views the Arctic as a high-priority region that is ‘critical to the countries prosperity and security.’ The Russian government has been actively inflating military presence in the Arctic, and has stated they want to strengthen territorial sovereignty, and develop resources and infrastructure in the Arctic. Russia has stated that they are looking to capitalize on natural resource development- both on and offshore.

1 comment on “Lesson 4; Russia & US

1. Arielle Wiggin

I focussed on these two countries as well. Russia not being among the list of Arctic allies and partners in the 2022 Biden administration document is a good catch! I noticed it was listed in a subtext as one of the Arctic States the United States wishes to cooperate with in the 2013 National Strategy document from the Obama admin—it is interesting to see how the writers of these documents try to navigate cooperation and security interests.